Gerard attended college at UCC from 1978 to 1982, where he graduated with a B.Comm degree. Following this he took up a position as a trainee accountant with McCarthy Daly Stapleton, then the largest independent firm in Cork. While in training, the firm merged with Ernst & Young and is today part of the EY network of firm.
Gerard qualified as a Chartered Accountant in 1986 and continued to work with the firm post qualification. In 1987, he moved into industry where he serviced as Financial Controller of one the largest printing companies in Munster.
In Sept 1990, Gerard established his own practice in Youghal, trading under the name, C. G Motherway & Co. He has grown the firm consistently over the years, providing accounting and taxation services to the SME, self employed, and not for profit markets across many business sectors.
In 1993, Gerard participated in the Management buyout, from a Danish multi-national, of a textile business in Youghal, where he took up the position of Finance Director on a part-time basis. The business operated successfully for 13 years, with employment peaking at 77 in the late 1990s. However, strong far eastern competition eventually led to the closure of the plant in 2006, at which time Gerard and his team arranged for the orderly wind up of the company.
Outside of the practice, Gerard has served as committee member and later President of Youghal Chamber of Tourism & Commerce and executive committee member and Chairman (2 terms) of Youghal GAA Club.
News & Events
- Tax-News.com: Irish VAT Rate Cut To Be Reversed In March
- Tax-News.com: Bermuda Consults Industry On New Conduct Of Business Regime
- Tax-News.com: Digital VAT Regimes Vital To Buoy Countries' Tax Takes: Report
- Tax-News.com: Ireland Lowers Headline VAT Rate
- Tax-News.com: Ireland Issues Guide On Accelerated Loss Relief For Companies
- Business School Briefing: MBA webinar, McKinsey turmoil, dispute resolution
- Negotiation skills prove their real-world worth
- Business School Briefing: well-behaved meetings, MBA start-up funds, creativity
- Business School Briefing: CLO executive education survey, real leadership, MBA network
- McKinsey’s work on opioid sales represents a new low
- Members in practice push through the pandemic
- Special episode: Budget 2021
- Special series: Taking the flexible route to Chartered Accountancy - Shaun McGlade
- Special series: Taking the flexible route to Chartered Accountancy - Vera Sackitey
- Special series: Taking the flexible route to Chartered Accountancy - Lucy Maher